Friday, July 20, 2007

Classroom Management

One of my student teachers is really struggling with classroom managment. His master teacher and I have offered strategies to try, but he doesn't seem to be able to implement them. Does anyone have any resources I could offer him?
Also, can a student (who does a good job planning lessons) not receive credit for student teaching if he/she can't successfully manage the class of students?

1 comment:

Dr. Jane Wilson said...

Encourage your student to read (or reread) Harry Wong's FIRST DAYS OF SCHOOL. Wong offers practical ideas that work and discusses the importance of establishing strong classroom management.

I suggest you write a ASSISTANCE PLAN to identify your concern and set goals for what you want to see in this placement. If a student can't manage his/her students, then likely they can't deliver instruction as students won't be focused. There may be reason to have the student either extend their placement or have them student teach another term.